Look through this site for more information and discuss PROMISE with your doctor.
All participants must complete an informed consent process before joining PROMISE. It takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. Disclosure, voluntariness, and decisional capacity make up the core of valid informed consent processes. PROMISE will provide assistance for those who need to complete consent forms. Patients can choose to leave PROMISE at any time.
Get The DNA Kit
PROMISE will send you a simple, home-based DNA test kit. Simply provide a saliva sample and return it via US mail. The kit will screen for one of the 30 cancer risk genes PROMISE is testing. This is called genetic testing for an inherited cancer risk.
PROMISE will provide you with a licensed genetic counselor to help you understand what your results mean for you.
You’ll discover if you have any gene mutations that affect your care plan. These results may inform you of available treatment options and previously unknown risks of family members developing prostate cancer.
What’s In Your DNA Kit
Everything you need to participate, straight to your door.
Our DNA kits are provided by Color Genomics. Once you sign up, we will ship it directly to your home. Simply spit in the collection tube and return it via USPS using the pre-paid shipping box. As soon as we receive your sample, you will receive a confirmation email from PROMISE.
To be included in the PROMISE study, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older, assigned male at birth
- Live in the US (including Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, US Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands).
- Have prostate cancer (any stage of the disease or survivorship) diagnosed or documented through one of the following:
- Tissue biopsy
- PSA greater than 100 ng/dl
- Clear radiographic evidence of disease
- Have at least one of the 30 cancer risk genes the PROMISE study is researching.
- The DNA saliva test results will identify which patients have one or more of these genes. The test is free and will be sent when patients complete the registration process online.
- Prostate cancer patients who have already had genetic testing and their previous genetic test results show a genetic mutation in one of the 30 genes, and meet all other criteria, are eligible to participate in the PROMISE study.
Your Kit Will Include:
- Sterile saliva collection tube
- Step-by-step instructions
- Sealable bio-sample bag
- Pre-paid return box